University of Utah Maintenance Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 05/26/2017
Requisition Number PRN14346B
Job Title Maintenance Specialist
Working Title Maintenance Crew Leader
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00307 - Housing & Residential Educ
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $16.50
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Advanced level trades skills to perform maintenance and repair work of equipment, machinery, appliances, utilities, buildings, facilities, fixtures, systems, etc. in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications. Is knowledgeable in the procedures and safety measures in area(s) of specialty.
1. Performs electrical work to repair or replace electrical motors, electrical equipment, control devices, etc.
2. Performs carpentry work in constructing repairing or installing countertops, cabinets, benches, partitions, floors, doors, building frames and trim.
3. Performs painting work by preparing the walls, doors, and exposed surfaces for painting and by painting those areas using any combination of brushes, rollers or spray guns. May be required to erect scaffolding in order to paint in high places.
4. Performs preventive maintenance on machinery and mechanical equipment such as engines, motors, pumps, pneumatic tools, and conveyor systems in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications.
5. May make work assignments for maintenance mechanics and maintenance workers and follows up on assignment to ensure that work was completed properly and on time.
6. May train maintenance mechanics and maintenance workers on specific standards, procedures and policies to be followed.
7. May review time cards for crew and prepares time sheets for submission to department.
8. May participate in hiring, firing and salary recommendations on maintenance mechanics and maintenance workers.
9. May prepare performance appraisals and responds to grievances or complaints.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Four years relevant work experience in the applicable trades areas with one of those years in a lead capacity; demonstrated knowledge of national, state and local building codes and standards; ability to read wiring diagrams, blueprints, and be able to make mechanical sketches and drawings; and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills required. Requires lifting and transporting heavy objects. A valid Utah Driver’s license may be required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.