University of Utah Education Staff Assistant in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 06/16/2017
Requisition Number PRN06945N
Job Title Education Staff Assistant
Working Title Community Outreach Program Assistant
Job Grade 007
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 19
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
19.5 hours per week- will include weekends, some evenings, and some holidays. A regular schedule is required but hours are flexible.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00018 - Utah Museum of Natl Hist Oper
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $12.00
NOTE: May close at anytime.
The Community Outreach Program Specialist assists the Outreach Program Coordinator with day-to-day outreach operations, including but not limited to: program facilitation, curriculum development, volunteer management and recruitment, moving traveling exhibit, developing and maintaining community relationships, program calendaring, and general museum marketing.
Please note that this is a temporary summer position.
• Assist with all outreach events including (but not limited to): Traveling Treasures and other statewide outreach initiatives
• Support program coordinator with logistics related to all outreach activities
• Assist with volunteer management and recruitment
• Assist with volunteer training
• Assist with outreach materials management for general outreach and Traveling Treasures
• Assist in the development of curriculum
• Assist in the development of Outreach policy manual
• Assist Outreach Coordinator in Traveling Treasures exhibit moves (when necessary)
• Facilitate short, science-based activities and demonstrations out in the community
• Generate Web content including program updates
• Assist in submitting outreach events to theNHMUevents web page
• Assist in maintaining a robust community contacts list
• Interact with the public and community leaders
• Maintain internal Community Relations Newsletter
• Calendar Outreach events
*Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Benefits for this position include:
• $12 per hour
• Interaction with scientists and educators from many backgrounds
• Flexible schedule
• Some telecommuting is possible
• Discount at theNHMUmuseum store and café
• The opportunity to travel throughout Utah
Three years experience as a classroom assistant in a related academic area, or equivalency; knowledge and understanding of a variety of teaching methods in order to adjust activities/training session to include participants of different ages; a thorough knowledge of related academic subjects in order to participate in developing classroom activities/programs; and demonstrated knowledge of teaching methods and communication skills to conduct educational activities and/or training sessions in a clear and concise manner required. Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills are also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Preference will be given to applicants with…
• Strong communication skills, including writing and public speaking
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and reliably
• Experience developing curriculum preferred
• Experience teaching or working with children preferred
• Bachelors’ Degree preferred
• Background in natural sciences is preferred
• Second language proficiency, particularly in Spanish, is preferred
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.