University of Utah Computer Technician in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 08/31/2017
Requisition Number PRN15185B
Job Title Computer Technician
Working Title Computer Technician
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
Monday through Friday
8am to 5pm
May require occasional/rare Saturday or evening shift
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00040 - Info Tech Group (Sch of Bus)
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 15.19 to 20.00
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
The Eccles IT Group provides support to all departments and centers within the David Eccles School of Business. The helpdesk technician in this role will work with faculty, staff, and PhD students to troubleshoot and resolve problems with computer hardware and software applications on school issued desktops, laptops, phones, and tablets. This position includes troubleshooting AV equipment in classrooms on a daily basis, imaging computers, installing new hardware and software, upgrading or replacing components of desktop computers and laptops, and serving as a helpdesk resource for assigned areas.
The University of Utah David Eccles School of Business, founded in 1917 and
educating more than 6,000 students annually, offers eight undergraduate majors, four MBAs, seven other graduate programs, a Ph.D. in seven areas and executive education curricula. The School is also home to nine institutes, centers and initiatives that deliver academic research and support an ecosystem of entrepreneurship and innovation. The Eccles IT Group supports the mission of the Eccles experience to provide a worldclass business education with a unique, entrepreneurial focus on real world scenarios where students put what they learn into practice long before graduation.
Located in Salt Lake City, in the foothills of the Wasatch Mountains, the University of Utah is the flagship institution of the State of Utah’s system of higher education and a member of the PAC12 Conference. Salt Lake City combines the amenities of a major metropolitan area of more than one million people with the friendliness and ease of living of a small, Western city. Seven major ski resorts are within an hour’s drive from campus, and opportunities to pursue activities from biking to hiking to fishing abound. Salt Lake is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera, the Utah Ballet, several professional sports teams, and a wide range of other cultural and recreational activities.
• Monitor and respond to the IT Group Service Ticket System regarding faculty, staff, and PhD computing issues within the David Eccles School of Business.
• Provide computer support by troubleshooting and correcting problems on all enduser computing equipment issued by the school.
• Install and upgrade computer hardware and software applications.
• Provide clear and accurate documentation of service/resolution efforts and inventory information in detail.
• Organize and manage equipment for checkout.
• Provide support for computer image design, testing, & implementation.
• Assist with network support and maintenance as related to enduser computers.
• Assist with occasional school event support outside of regular work hours.
• Monitor and report data allocation/usage.
• Proactively engage in creatively finding and brainstorming improvements including: checklists, improving customer service skills, and finding novel solutions to recurrent problems.
• Independently prioritize requests and handle concerns of impatient or dissatisfied customers.
• Understand and abide by license restrictions and confidentiality guidelines in reference to applications and information stored within the network. Specifically, regulations regardingPCIandFERPAdata.
• Stay current with new computer technology and understand how these relate to ongoing problems and strategic planning.
• Additional tasks as assigned.
• Provide backup Friday/Saturday onsite support for the ExecutiveMBA(EMBA) program and class sessions.
• Provide backup evening onsite support for the ProfessionalMBA(PMBA) program and class sessions.
• Note: BothEMBA&PMBAduties include providing problem resolution for students, managing and effectively providing loaner equipment when appropriate, working directly with laptop provider to ensure timely resolution and equipment return to students.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs
Associate’s degree in a computer related field and two years of experience or equivalency recommended. Demonstrated computer skills, human relations and effective communication skills are required.
• A+ Certified
• Knowledge of University of Utah systems
• Direct Customer Service Experience with an emphasis on phone support and an expectation of superior in-person support
• Familiarity/Experience with: Windows 710, macOS, Microsoft Office Products, Teamviewer, Skype for Business, Active Directory, imaging software, virtual machines
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.