University of Utah Accounting Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 06/07/2017
Requisition Number PRN14420B
Job Title Accounting Specialist
Working Title Accounting Specialist
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area Health Sciences
Department 00256 - Surgery Administration
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.02 to 21.63
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Performs a variety of accounting duties that range in level of complexity from clerical accounting duties such as managing receivables or serving as payroll reporter, to more complex duties such as preparing budget or reconciling accounts.
1. Maintains and reconciles accounts and makes correction to journal entries as necessary. Tracks and reports revenue and expenditures.
2. Prepares departmental or grant budgets and cost reports, and does variance analysis.
3. Reviews expense and accounting documents for accuracy and appropriate approvals and ensures transactions are charged to the correct account.
4. Handles accounts receivable for department including invoice preparation, bank deposits, aging reports, follow up on past due accounts.
5. Prepares and processes purchasing and travel documents. Solves problem with invoices and processes for payment.
6. Serves and department payroll reporter. May track department payroll expenses and ensure labor costs are charged to correct accounts.
7. Reviews and reconciles University procurement and purchases.
8. Reconciles monthly management statements and maintains back-up documentation.
9. Creates special checks or check requests.
10. Tracks and controls department inventory.
11. Supervises and trains accounting clerks and other clerical staff.
12. May serve as petty cash custodian for the department.
13. May purchase and maintain office supplies for department.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Associate’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field, plus two years full-time clerical accounting experience or equivalency required. The ability to understand, interpret, and apply University and departmental regulations; demonstrated spreadsheet skills; and demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required. Experience using software programs such as PeopleSoft or Kronos may be required for certain positions.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.