University of Utah Academic Program Support Specialist in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 06/14/2017
Requisition Number PRN14509B
Job Title Academic Program Support Specialist
Working Title Academic Program Support Specialist/DSO
Job Grade B
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
M-F; 8-5 with some overtime and weekends
VP Area Academic Affairs
Department 00295 - Office of Admissions
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range $13.70
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
This employee assists in all aspects of the international student admission and record maintenance process, including creation of I-20 documents for the issuing of student visas. This employee assists in evaluations of academic transcripts, test scores, and other credentials. Prepares, verifies, and enters data into student information systems and the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) and assists students and the University community with admission and visa issues, provides information, and resolves issues.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualification required of an employee assigned to the job.
1. Ensure compliance with university/office policies and procedures and federal regulations to maintain the accuracy and integrity of admission records and immigration records as held in the admissions office.
2. Evaluate international applicant transcripts which includes verification of school recognition, converting grading systems to a US 4.0 scale, confirm degree qualifications, determine transfer credit, and assure admission requirements are met.
3. Verify English proficiency requirements and waivers for applicants.
4. Determine immigration status and initial residency for tuition purposes.
5. Data enter information into computerized information systems.
6. Send communications to applicants and departments about concerns with applications.
7.Prepares and handles I-20s for the issuing of visas. Includes verifying funding amounts and other documentation for students requesting an I-20, as well as process I-20s and make changes to I-20s as they pertain to the admissions office.
8. Handle questions and complaints from students, parents, and departments in a manner that will strengthen the university’s professional and cooperative image. Seek for sources to identify, research, and resolve problems and complaints if answer is unknown.
9. Perform clerical duties such as answering phones and emails, assisting at the window as needed, filing.
10. May be required to run queries and reports.
11. May work with special programs within the Office of Admissions.
12. Assist in yearly purge processes.
13. Assist in area manual updates.
14. Complete tasks assigned by supervisor in a timely manner and follow directions from supervisor to implement new policies and procedures.
15. Prioritizes daily work activities and recommends changes to supervisor to improve processes. Follows directions from supervisor to implement new policies and procedures.
16. Perform other related duties as assigned.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
1. Three years general office experience, one of which should have been in an academic setting.
2. Good customer service and communication skills
3. Needs to have attention to detail.
4. An ability to provide high quality and quantity of work.
5. Problem solving ability
6. Minimum typing ability may be required
7. Must have some college experience.
8. Foreign language desired but not necessary.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
An individual with a Bachelor’s degree.
An Individual with past work experience in an academic setting.
An individual with past experience working with diverse populations.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.