University of Utah Academic Advisor in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 06/02/2017
Requisition Number PRN14388B
Job Title Academic Advisor
Working Title Academic Advisor
Job Grade D
FLSA Code Administrative
Patient Care Job Code? No
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area President
Department 00327 - Athletics Department
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 31600 to 58400
NOTE: May close at anytime.
Open Until Filled
NOTE: May close at anytime. Yes
Advises a diverse population of students in regards to their academic planning and progress by utilizing professional advising and guidance skills. Interprets and explains university academic policy and procedure to assist students in making decisions concerning personal educational goals leading to graduation.
1. Meets with students to provide information and guidance on academic-related issues, such as graduation requirements and exceptions, major exploration, course planning and registration, transfer credit evaluation/substitution or advanced degree requirements.
2. Facilitates students’ academic progress by evaluating their needs and developing appropriate educational plans. Makes referrals for students who need assistance with overcoming learning obstacles, specialized tutoring, extended or intensive assistance with career decisions or similar needs.
3. Develops and presents education programs designed to supplement or enhance academic preparedness.
4. Collects and disseminates information to students, faculty and departments about changes in major requirements or University policies and adjusts advising strategies as appropriate.
5. Coordinates and/or participates in the advising-related portion of new/transfer student and parent orientation sessions.
6. Maintains students’ academic files that include a record of the advising activity that takes place during each visit.
7. Serves on University committees and makes recommendations that affect curriculum requirements, advising processes and program development and published materials.
8. Coordinates data compilation, statistical reports and correspondence, depending upon the area of assignment.
9. May plan and participate in continuing education for advising staff.
10. Meet with prospects and parents during recruiting visits to discuss the goals, vision, and philosophy of the academic support program.
11. Work as a team member with Academic Services staff to provide coordinated services for student athletes ensuring the highest levels of customer service and availability.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalency required. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills required.
Previous experience in an advising, counseling or teaching environment is preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: email@example.com .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.